Monday, May 26, 2008

Nicknames

Nicknames are curious things aren't they? This thought struck me as I stood in the outfield this week encouraging our fast bowler James Thomas. James has a fairly straightforward name but amongst the cacophony of support he got called several things:

"Come on James!" said one, "Nice ball Jim" came another. "Good stuff JayJay!" took the nickname to a slightly higher level. "Yes JimJam!", "good boy Jimmy Lad!", "Super effort JT" and so it went on.

Why do we use nicknames and why do they sometimes make a name shorter (which kind of makes sense), but sometimes longer (which makes no sense)?

For instance, our beloved ex-spin bowler Norman Howard is affectionately called "Norm". Straightforward. No problem. One syllable less than his full name.

Lee Nightingale, our first team wicketkeeper gets called "Nighty". Again, it makes sense.

However, once our third team number three Glyn Martin starts getting called "Glinners", and even "Glinderella" (three EXTRA syllables) I start to scratch my head.

I can't end the post without remembering my two favourite nicknames, even though they are not from the world of cricket. There was a footballer who played for Crystal Palace called Fitz Hall. His nickname was "One Size". Genius.

My number one has to be a friend of my father's from the building trade. This unfortunate fellow is in charge of a skip hire business and is fastidious about not receiving skips that are overloaded.

His nickname?

Phil Level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

T.POTTS
PINE MARTIN
NOTTIN GILL
CAPTAIN MAGAN
ELTON GOUGH
DARTH SMITH