Monday, August 21, 2006

Domestic Questions

This blog has already recorded the invaluable contribution that wives and girlfriends make to the lives of cricketers. However, there is still an unbridgeable divide between those who love cricket, and those who simply don't get it. I have been married for seventeen years and have played cricket all of that time and I still get questions today that I had seventeen years ago. It struck me that this blog might be a way of stating in black and white once and for all, some of the answers.

What time will you be back?
Cricket is not like football my dear where playing time is determined by the clock. Playing time in limited overs cricket is determined by the number of overs bowled, and how long teams bat for. This means that if a match starts at 2pm, it could finish by 5pm, or earlier, or it could last until 8pm, or later. I do not know what time I'll be back.

Why are you going to play cricket if it is raining?
Cricketers must turn up to fulfil a fixture whatever the weather, unless the game is called off in advance. This is determined (usually) by the two captains who will subsequently inform their respective teams in good time before the match is due to start. If I have not received a call from the skipper, I have to turn up at the ground my love.

If it starts raining during a match, why don't you all just come home?
Oh dear heart! If only it were that simple. To give the game the best chance possible of reaching a fair result in rain interrupted games, there are special rules. These rules have to be followed just like the rules that apply on the field of play. If rain interrupts a game, we have to stay until the rules say the game can be officially abandoned. So, my sweet, if it starts to rain, this does not mean I will be home within the hour.

Why do you have to play in white?
So that there is a distinct background for the red ball in play. It is not to annoy those people who (very kindly!) wash the cricket kit. Honestly love of my life.

Why don't you just wear shorts to play when it is really hot?
We are English, we have standards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You poms don't have the legs for shorts